Sunday, February 20, 2011

ATD 231 Feild Trip to Woven Art in Downtown East Lansing.

When entering Woven Art I was greeted by an extremely friendly dog. The whole time I was followed by this loveable pup, and occasionally gave it a little loving attention. Once I was able to pull my attention away from the dog, I noticed all of the beautiful colors on every wall of the room. I walked from one end to another feeling every yarn that looked soft. Once I got serious and started looking at the labels I noticed that most of the yarns were made out of mohair, silk, alpaca, merino, and cashmere. Theses luxurious natural fibers were spun and dyed beautifully.

            My first choice of yarn would be by KidLin, called Lace Weight. It is made in North America, and is made of 49% linen, 35% kid mohair, and 16% nylon. The yarn was spun and came in almost every color. I would love to see this yarn made into a sweater or blanket. The yarn was extremely soft and fuzzy to touch.

            My second choice of yarn was Glisten, Kollage. The yarn I touched was a white/cream color with specks of silver in it. The yarn was made in Peru, and is made up of 70% alpaca, 25% silk, and 5% estelle. This yarn also came in a wide variety of colors. Above the yarn was a display of the yarn after being made into a shawl and hat.

            My third choice of yarn was Schaefer Yarn. I found it sitting on a chair. What interested me the most was the color of the yarns. The yarn name they were selling in Woven Art was Elaine. Shaefer Yarn picks a woman in history and creates a yarn out of it. On the back of the tag is the womans’ story and influences. The yarn is 99% Merino and 1% nylon, making this yarn extremely luxurious.

            I had completed the assignment and was ready to leave, but my attention was once again stolen by more bundles of yarn. I kept looking throughout the store, still with the loveable pooch behind me.  I came across a bundle of 100% spun silk with glass beads. The spun silk was absolutely gorgeous and luxurious. Right next to the bundle of spun silk was cashmere. The cashmere was so soft and warm. I found that I was much more attracted to the soft, fuzy yarns, rather than rough, high twist yarns.


Woven Art, 325 Grove Street


Wall of color

Lace Weight, KidLin
49% Linen, 35% Kid Mohair, 16% Nylon

Glisten, Kollage
70% Alpaca, 25% Silk, 5% Estelle

Sweater and Hat made from Glisten, Kollage

Shaefer Yarn, Elaine
99% Merino, 1% Nylon

Looms in the back room

100 % spun silk with glass beads

Cashmere

Pooch that I feel in love with

No comments: