Sunday, March 6, 2011

ATD 231, and Knitting!

Hey Hey Hey!
Last Thursday in class I learned how to knit!
I am taking a class that is about Textiles. Now its not just about colors... Its seriously intense!
We are learning about different fibers, and how they're collected or manufactured and then how they are used. We also learn what fibers are good for what, whether it be they can withstand sunlight or abrasion.
Trust me, these test are not easy!
There is a recitation after the class, which is like a lab. In recitation we touch different materials to get a feel of what kind of fiber it is made out of, and we do hands on projects as well, such as weaving and KNITTING!
So, I learned how to knit in class the other day!
I loved it!
It was perfect for me, and I was a natural.
As soon as class was out I went to Woven Arts (talked about early in my blog about ATD 231 field trip) which is located in downtown East Lansing.
A very enthusiastic lady with the longest dreads I have ever seen, helped me pick out needles and yarn.
The yarn I got was gray (my favorite color) and it is made out of wool (easier for beginners because it stretches better).
The needles I got were not long and straight. Instead thy are shorter, wood needles, that are connected by a clear plastic string. I believe these are called circular needles. These are a new kind, and can aid in making certain things better...but since I'm a beginner, I'm only making long, rectangular/square things, like a scarf!
I am so proud of the smallest things I make! Ive always wanted to know how to knit, and it just took someone showing me for 10 seconds for me to learn!
Knitting is something I can do for the rest of my life, and it is very popular among the elderly community...so hopefully ill fit right in!

No comments: