Friday, March 18, 2011

Felting!

Good morning fellow Spartans!
I hope you all had a very fun, yet safe st. patricks day!
I had a ton of fun!

I am soooo excited to share some pictures of what I did yesterday in the AM.
Before the st. patty celebration began, I had to go to my 8:30 class, which is ATD 231. I am always talking about this class. It is so exciting and we do alot of fun things.

Yesterday I learned how to felt.
You take wool filament, and lay them horizontally and vertically onto of each other on top of bubble wrap.
You spray it with soapy water, fold over the bubble wrap and massage it with your fingers.
Then bring it to hot running water (as hot as your hands can stand) and shock the fibers. rinse out all of the soapy water.
Bring it back over to your bubble wrap, spray with soapy watter and massage again if you feel it needs it. I had to add more wool fibers to make mine look better. Rinse with hot water. keep repeating until you get the look you want! Its super fast and easy.
Another thing you can do is iron it to shock the fibers even more.
You can also put your "felt piece" into a bag, and pop it into the dryer with some towels and itll defiantly look like felt.

Here are some of my pics!
Lay down the fibers and spray with soapy water.


Flip bubble wrap and massage.


Rinse with hot water.


Add more fibers if needed and repeat!


After ironing^  
Felt is awesome because you can cut it and it wont fray on the ends. Thats why felt was used for poodle skirts in the 50's. It was so easy to make so many!
This is my awkward 4 leaf clover for St. Patricks day!  :)


No comments: